Friday, July 1, 2011

Diamond Cookies

When I think of Grandma Reschke's diamond cookies, I instantly think of Christmas. My grandma would make these around Christmastime and it would be a special treat whenever she did. She never made them any other time, so it would be something I could look forward to every year. I first made these cookies when I was a freshman for a class presentation and I quickly realized that they are not as simple as they look. The main thing I learned with making these cookies is that you must roll out the dough in powdered sugar. Flour makes them tough and oil makes them spread and go bubbly. It may take a couple of tries, but they are so worth it when you get them down!

Recipe by: Tove Reschke

Diamond Cookies

1 c. butter or margarine
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. dark corn syrup
4 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. grated orange rind
slivered, blanched almonds for the tops

Melt butter, add sugar and corn syrup. Remove from heat, sift flour, cardamom, cloves, salt allspice, and cinnamon; add to sugar mixture. Stir in orange rind. Dough can be stored, wrapped air tight in saran wrap in fridge for up to three weeks. When ready to bake, roll portions of dough out to a thin rectangle. Cut the diamond shapes using a ruler and place a slice of almond in the middle. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 min. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment