Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oma's Applecake

My Opa, Oma, grandpa Reschke in the back and my dad, uncle John, and uncle Phil in the front. (Not sure who the babies are)

Oma's applecake is legendary in my family. It is only made for the most special occasions and nothing can compare to it. When I was younger, my dad told me about how he would help Oma (my grandpa Reschke's stepmother) make the cake and she taught him how to peel apples with just a knife. In turn, he taught me how to peel apples with a knife and I am pretty sure it scared my mom because I was not really old at the time. In a family cookbook, my grandma wrote a story about my Oma's apple cake and this is what it says:
"Although I watched Oma make her specialty, applecake, she didn't have a specific recipe, it was one of those "I just do it" cakes. So one day, when she was preparing to make one, I stood ready with a measuring cup, and caught each ingredient in the air as she added it, and wrote it down. We had a good laugh, but it worked, so now we have that wonderful recipe for generations to enjoy. One important thing to remember is to spread a thick layer of butter (no substitutes) at the bottom of the spring form pan, and of course also slices of butter on the top, with a generous sprinkle of sugar, that is what makes it so delicious.
I was fascinating to watch Oma peel apples, it went so fast, in no time at all, had she peeled the apple, leaving one long string of apple peel."

Recipe by: Wilma (Oma) Reschke

7-8 cups of apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 lb. margarine
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Beat margarine, eggs together, gradually add sugar and beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour. Mix well, batter should be light and fluffy. If it's too stiff, add a little milk.

Peel and slice apples, butter cake pan with a thick layer of butter. Put a layer of batter in the pan, add apples, spread remaining batter on the top. Put slices of butter and sugar on top. Place in cold oven, turn on oven to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment