Sunday, April 3, 2011

Aebleskiver

One of my fondest memories growing up was going to my paternal grandparent's house on Sundays and my grandma making Aebleskiver for all of the kids. It has been a long-standing tradition for my grandma to give an aebleskiver pan as a wedding present with the recipe attached. When I got married, I was so excited to receive my own pan. Along with the recipe, my grandma included a story about aebleskiver and I thought I would share it:

"When I think Aebleskiver, I have especially fond memories of the time I was on vacation at my maternal grandparent's house, "Mormor and Morfar" I called them.
I loved the smell of the wood stove, where Mormor would swing the iron rings on and off, according to the size of the pan she would be using, also adjusting he heat with them. For For less heat she would have all the rings in the hole, for full heat the flames from the wood would be directly on the pot. The pots and pans had a ledge, so they would fit in the hole.
Mormor made the best Aebleskiver ever, and when Morfar challenged me to see who could eat the most, I ate so many I had no desire for Aebleskiver again for a long long time."

Recipe by: Tove Reschke

3 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar

Separate the eggs and beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside. In another bowl beat together the egg yolks and buttermilk. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. (I also like to add 1/2 tsp. Cardamom, a much used spice in Danish baking), gradually add dry ingredients to the buttermilk/egg mixture, while beating until smooth, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
Over medium heat preheat aebleskiver pan with about a teaspoon of vegetable oil in each cup. Fill the cups 3/4 full with batter. When the edges start to bubble begin to turn the aebleskiver 1/4 turn using the two pronged fork poking it into the edge of the Aebleskiver from the inside edge so the batter runs into the cup as it continues to cook.
After baking a couple of minutes turn it 1/4 of a turn again, so it will form a ball. Keep turning the aebleskiver as they cook, until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Serve with powdered sugar and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment